Saturday, April 8, 2017

BALBOA PARK











I was really excited to go to this park and had it planned  even before I set foot again in California.  The last time I was in California, I was not really able to go around but since I stayed in SoCal for most of my trip, a Balboa Park visit was a must.  I had seen this in countless reference park pictures at work; even used it for some of my projects too.  I consider it as one of the most successful urban parks in California, mainly because a lot of people actually go to this place not just to visit/tour but to actually stay, relax,people watch...you know, those park stuff activities.  Moreover, it has its own sustainability and conservancy strategies that is why it thrives even in drought stricken Cali.  I did not have much time to explore the whole park because I passed by this on the way to the AECOM San Diego office with my mini-me and aunt.

But the truth is, the park did not disappoint at all even if I was there for just a couple of hours.  I was like a kid in the candy store, I could not decide how to maximize my time especially with so much stuffs relevant to my work. There were a good number of people, most taking refuge from the scorching sun and the mayhem of the dense San Diego City.   As an architect, it is a reference project feast.  As a photographer, it is still a visual smorgasbord.  Too bad, I did not have time to go into the museums or the bridge but nevertheless, I enjoyed every bit of it and I will still go back to this place when I return to San Diego.

click the link below to visit their website



the museum entrance


the botanical building



Plaza de Panama

Lily Pond

Lily Pond

view of the botanical building from the lily pond area

like a Monet garden

inside the botanical building

botanical garden

Timken Museum of Art

pedestrian friendly



Japanese garden



Spreckels Organ Pavilion

No comments:

Post a Comment